Monday, September 26, 2011

Some things I LEARNED from the latest Reader's Digest.

QUOTE - an American proverb: 'After a rich man gets rich, his next ambition is to get richer.'


I've been reading the October, 2011, issue of The Reader's Digest and found some interesting bits of information.

1. First I LEARNED that in 2010 the median pay of U.S. CEO's rose 23%. The median pay is now $10.8 million annually (266 times the average U.S. income). (It didn't used to be this way. CEO pay has gone wild since the 1980s.)

2. This phrase of the month really made me think about what is happening in the U.S. It was written by a man named David Leonhardt of the New York Times. Mr. Leonhardt said: The expectation that the United States can support the world's highest medical costs, its largesy military, and an aging population with taxes that are among the world's lowest is what economists call 'a free lunch.'

3. And then Dave Barry had this to say: 'If you had to identify, in one word, the reason the human race has not achieved, and never will achieve, its full potential, that word would be MEETINGS.'
(I agree, I would like to have kept track of how many meetings I went to in my career as a teacher and at church, and in politics and.... When I retired from teaching in 1999 I vowed to never go to another meeting the rest of my life. I've pretty much fulfilled that vow.)

HUMOR for today from the Digest:

I have an 18-year-old; her name is Alexis. I chose that name because if I hadn't had her, I'd be driving one.

I was diagnosed with antisocial behavior, so I joined a support group. We never meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment