Friday, June 21, 2013

Pete's BLOG-Day 26,512. Sister Jan's 80th Borthday Party.

Today is Friday, June 21, 2013. My stats today: 10 minutes of yoga, 10 minutes of lifting weights and 46 minutes of walking = 2.5 miles for a June total of 41.1 miles. My weight was 162.2 pounds.

QUOTE from Pete Bungum: "It has been proven that it is good for the psyche to take a break from a daily routine. That is exactly what I've done the last 12 days. I'm ready to do some blogging again."

My THOUGHTS today have to do with the wonderful time I had at my sister Jan's 80th Birthday Party last Saturday in Bloomington, MN.

I drove to Bloomington by myself last Saturday. (Ruth Ann had had an unfortunate fall several days before and injured her sternum and connecting ribs - she was still in pain so she stayed home.) There are 6 of us 10 kids still kicking and we were all there plus many nieces and nephews. And many of Jan and husband Don's friends were in attendance also.

Jan gave a nice talk about her birth and upbringing in the Hayfield and Oslo area in Dodge County, MN. from 1933 to 1951. She said she was born at home, in a house with no electricity, no running water and no indoor plumbing. She also had done research on what the cost of food and other goods cost then plus the average yearly income of working people. She wanted to know if anybody knew who was president and vice-president in June, 1933. Somebody yelled out FDR but the vice-president was a little tougher - I scored an extra credit point when I gave the correct answer of John Nance Garner. She ended by saying that she had lived through so many changes in her life that it was hard to believe. Her talk was really enjoyable.

I talked second - I had some memories written down that I shared. I started out by mentioning that this gathering wouldn't be happening today if it wasn't for a baby boy born in 1899 and baby girl born in 1904. The boy was named Gustav Norman Bungum and the girl was named Elsie Charlotte Throndson. They were born on farms about  4-5 miles apart in Dodge County, grew up going to the same church, started dating in the 1920s and got married in May of 1926. Their first baby arrived in March of 1927 - they named him Paul. From then on the baby parade was on - from November of 1928 to April of 1946 they had 9 more babies. Betty in November of 1928, Don in September of 1931, Jan in June of 1933, Jim in July of 1934, Chuck in July of 1936. Me in November of 1940, John in December of 1942, Karen in May of 1944, and Mark on April 1, 1946. So everybody in attendance at the party was there because of a couple named Norman and Elsie.

Tomorrow I'll write about some of the experiences I had with Jan in my childhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment