Monday, October 17, 2011

My curiosity made me do some research today.

QUOTE from Dorothy: "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity."

My QUOTE today is one I firmly believe in. There have been few times in my life when I've really been bored. The main reason is I've always been curious about the who, what, when, where, why and how of people and things. So after reading and laughing at the comic strip "Hagar the Horrible" for many years my curiosity made me want to know more about the person who could create something so funny like this everyday. To GOOGLE I went and I found the answer.

The cartoonist is a guy named Chris Browne. He is the son of the very famous cartoonist Dik Browne. In the 1940s Dik was a magazine and advertising illustrator. He broke into the comics field when he teamed up with Mort Walker on his then-new creation, HI AND LOIS. In 1973, he launched his own strip, HAGAR THE HORRIBLE, which skyrocketed in popularity in a few short years and is now one of the top comics in the nation. HAGAR has been continued by Dik's son, Chris, while his other son, Chance, draws HI AND LOIS.

Chris was born in New Jersey in 1952 and grew up in Wilton, Connecticut. Chris assisted his father on the comic strips HI AND LOIS and HAGAR THE HORRIBLE. When his dad started HAGAR THE HORRIBLE in 1872 Chris, as a twenty year-old, was contributing gag writing to it. When his father, Dik, retired in 1988, Chris took over complete control of HAGAR and has continued since that time. In addition to HAGAR Chris Browne has contributed cartoons to National Lampoon, Playboy, Esquire, Heavy Metal, The New Yorker, The Funny Papers and Sarasota Magazine.

I've always been amazed at people who are so creative everyday. I wonder if they sleep well at night or are they thinking about their next cartoon idea when they should be sleeping? When I wrote my GRATITUDE JOURNAL in 2009 I did a lot of thinking while in bed, when I was walking, or driving, or people watching, or watching TV, etc. It was almost a 24/7 deal for me to keep thinking about the people and things I should be grateful to or for. But it was also one of the best years of my life because I had to keep thinking positive every day for 365 days. I imagine cartoonists have a similar mindset, only their's would have to be about thinking of something humorous/funny. I never felt better, physically or mentally, than I did the year of 2009.

If cartoonists feel like I did then they are some happy people.




HUMOR for today. One of my two fvorite comics is Hagar the Horrible. Hagar is this tough beer drinking Viking who travels to different parts of Europe and pillages the castles of the rich Kings and Queens and brings the booty back to Norway He is married to Helga who is a tough hard working Viking woman. But Hagar doesn't appreciate how hard she works as you will see from last Saturday's comic.

Hagar is reclining in his recliner with a mug of beer in his hand.

Helga is screaming at him as she mops the floor: "I WORK MY FINGERS TO THE BONE ALL DAY LONG AND YOU JUST SIT THERE EXPECTING A BIG DINNER IMMEDIATELY."

Hagar responds: "That's not true. I'm willing to just have another beer and wait."

No comments:

Post a Comment