Monday, November 29, 2010

Age 70 and remembering

A quote from Stdney J. Harris: THE THINGS WE DID CAN BE TEMPERED BY TIME; IT IS REGRET FOR THE THINGS WE DID NOT DO THAT IS INCONSOLABLE.

The quote for today is one of the reasons I'm wrting this blog. I don't want to look back several years from now and say, "I wish I had tried doing a blog."

My topic today is being age 70 and trying to remember. I was going to write on another topic but when I was getting my sweats on this morning to do my workout I told myself, before I leave the house for my walk, be sure and write PRINTER INK and FURNACE FILTERS on Ruth Ann's grocery list. I noticed the ink was low this morning when I checked the email. And at the end of the month I always put new filters in the furnace.Well, guess what? By the time I finished dressing (about two minutes later) I had forgotten about the ink/filters and I didn't write them on the list. I didn't think of them again until half through my walk. Then my problem was how am I going to remember ink/filters when I'm still walking - I still have 20 minutes to go. Anyway, I said ink, ink,ink, filter, filter, filter, all the way and I wrote it on the list as soon as I got in the door.

In recent years this has really gotten to be a problem for both of us and for all the other folks our age. What I've learned is the way to help solve this problem for me is to do one of two things: When I think of something I need to do go do it right now. And second, carry a piece of paper and a pencil and write it down. I'm considering a third way and that is to carry the little tape recorder I've had for 20 years.

And I've also learned I do not have alzheimers. When talking to Dr. Vernon (our family doctor) about trying to remember things as we've gotten older he says not to worry about it. His words were, "As long as you remember you do not remember you do not have alzheimers. It is when you do not remember that you do not remember that you have a serious problem." Good news.

Today I walked for 50 minutes which equals 2.7 miles. It brings my Novmeber total to 66.0 miles.

A little humor today. Doctor (on the phone): Ole, I have to tell you..your check came back.
Ole: Vell, let me tell YOU sumting. So did my artitis!

No comments:

Post a Comment