Tuesday, November 30, 2010

grandchildren

A quote from millions of parents: GRANDCHILDREN ARE GOD'S REWARD FOR HAVING CHILDREN.

Ten days ago I had my seventy birthday. I got a card from granddaughter Ellyn and husband Ryan that was touching and inspiring. The card said,

Although there are millions of grandpas,
One thing is surely true-
This world would be a better place
It more were just like you!

Then she added "Wishing you many more years of health and happiness."
Lots of Love, Ellyn and Ryan

I can tell you one thing, Ellyn and Ryan most certainly "brightened my day". It made me feel so good.

While I'm on the topic of grandchildren I want to tell a story about my other two grandchildren. These stories are my humor for today. They are cute stories and and illustrate the innocence of children.

Ellyns older brother is Wesley. When Wesley was about five years of age his Mom took him to Dr. Collins for a check-up. Dr. Collins is African-American. Mom Carron said Wesley kept looking at Dr. Collins and you could tell he had something on his mind. Wesley could not stand it any longer and finally says to Dr. Collins, "Do you know Oprah?" What innocence and what a good laugh Dr. Collins and Carron had.

Then the story of granddaughter Alexandra from Denmark. She was about eight years old and was visiting us in Anamosa. One morning Grandma Ruth Ann was in the bathroom putting her blush and other make-up on and Alexandra was standing right beside her watching every move Grandma made. Ruth Ann told me later that she could tell Alex had something on her mind. Finally, it came out. Alex said, "Grandma is that stuff hard to put on with all those wrinkles on your face?" Ruth Ann had a good laugh and agreed it really was hard to put on.

No comments:

Post a Comment