Monday, March 19, 2012

Pete's Revised BLOG - Day 11.

Today is my 26,020th day on planet earth. It is another 70 degree day.
My accomplishments so far today include doing my yoga, lifting weights, walking 54 minutes which = 3.0 miles - my total for March, 2012 is 42 miles. and I maintained my weight at 163.2 pounds. I also ordered 4 new Good Year Integrity tires at $100.00 each. The right front one went flat yesterday. This morning I called Jill, the service manager at the Wayne Hall Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep dealership. She sent out a couple of guys with an air-bomb, got the tire up and took it to the shop. They called back and said all four tires were whowing signs of tire rot. So new tires I am getting and Ruth Ann and I will feel safe again going 70 mph on the interstate on the way to St. Peter, Minnesota on Wednesday.

Now back to Darvin. Darvin has also told me about his bowling game. He has bowled over 70 years and only now, at age 92, is he having some difficulty delivering the ball. He just started walking with a cane this winter which makes bowling a very difficult sport. He said his teammates want him to come back but...maybe that won't work at this stage of his life. But as I mentioned yesterday he has the biggest hands I've ever seen on any man. With those big hands I could see him walk up to the line, grip the ball like other poeple grip a softball and deliver the ball like a softball pitcher. He could forget about the holes in the ball - he wouldn't need them - his hands are so big and his fingers so long he could practically wrap his hand around the ball. I think I'll suggest that to him at the next coffee. He has been a very good bowler over the years. He told me he has had several series over 700, which would average out to around a 235 to 265 a game. That is what you would call a very good bowler. He also told me that the one thing he doesn't like about the bowling crowd is their language. He can see no reason why people have to use fowl language when bowling - he has expressed his concerns to them about how he feels.

Then, one more thing I've learned from Darvin is it is never too late to do a little romancing. Darvin lives on the farm with son Donnie and daughter-in-law Deb. Darvin lives in his own house and Don and Deb have their own. Donnie farms full time and Deb works at Anamosa Senior High. Several years ago Darvin lost his wife. He told me that life had really gotten to be lonely. Nobody came to visit him and he spent many days seeing nobody. Finally, last year, he made a phone call to a widowed lady he had known for years (I won't use her name because she may not want me to.) He identified himself, said he was lonely, and asked her if she wanted to go out for dinner. She said yes but she also said "I have to check with my kids first to see if it was okay with them for me to start dating again at age 86." The good news is that Darvin passed inspection and she was free to go. Darvin was one happy dude that he was approved. On their first date they went to the Hale Supper Club near Olin. The both enjoyed it so much they have been going out to eat ever since. They also attend various Jones County farm banquets; last Saturday they went to the beef banquet in Monticello. And she also prepares dinners for Darvin at her house. He said she makes wonderful meals and makes enough to feed a threwing crew (but he's big enough to probably take care of a good share of it.) Anyway, on the first anniversary of the telephone call from Darvin, she sent him a note and said, "Darvin, my, what a difference a phone call can make. This past year our lives have changed -and all for the better." To celebrate their first anniversary they went right back to their first dinner together - The Hale Supper Club.

Darvin has changed for the better since that phone call. He's so much happier. I and others give him a hard time, but all in good fun. He likes it when we do - we all get some good laughs.

I'm so happy for Darvin. I'm happy bacause he's happy and he's no longer suffering from such terrible loneliness. He now has something to look forward to every week.

Darvin, I know you are happy you made that phone call, she's happy you made that call to her, Donnie and Deb are happy for you, and I and many others are happy for all of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment