Wednesday, June 1, 2011

The ninth and final C in Lee Iacocca's list for leadership.

QUOTE from Jean Paul Richter: "A man never discloses his own character so clearly as when he describes another's."


Today I'm writing what I LEARNED about Lee Iacocca's ninth and final C in his list of nine traits of leadership.The ninth and final C is COMMON SENSE.

Iacocca says you can't be a leader if you don't have COMMON SENSE. I call this Charlie Beacham's rule. When I was a young guy just starting out in the car business, one of my first jobs was as Ford's zone manager in Wilkes-Barre, PA. My boss was a guy named Charlie Beacham, who was the East Coast regional manager. Charlie was a big Southerner, with a warm drawl, a huge smile, and a core of steel. Chatlie used to tell me, "Remember, Lee, the only thing you've got going for you as a human being is your ability to reason and your common sense. If you don't know a dip of horseshit from a dip of vanilla ice cream, you'll never make it."

So this completes Lee Iacocca's list of the nine Cs needed to be a great leader. Here they are again:
CURIOSITY, CREATIVITY, COMMUNICATOR , CHARACTER, COURAGE, CONVICTION, CHARISMA, COMPETENCE, COMMON SENSE. I'm glad that son Brad made me aware of these. There is a lot of food for thought in those nine Cs. Even if a person is not in a position of leadership those nine Cs give a person some good guidelines for leading a more fulfilling and interesting life.I don't think I'll ever forget these nine Cs. They all struck me as hitting the nail on the head as far as leadership goes but the one that I could relate to the most, at age 70, was CURIOSITY. I really enjoy finding out the who, what, when, where, why, and how of people and things.

One of the main reasons I started this BLOG was it would force me to LEARN something new most every day of the week and I would get to share it. Also, at age 70, I wanted to have a good laugh most every day, so that is why I have a HUMOR section. The QUOTE is simply more food for thought and it forces me to do research to find a good QUOTE for that day. And this BLOG helps me keep my mind off a lot of the negative crap going on every day in this country and world.


HUMOR for today: Deep Questions.

Do infants enjoy infancy as much as adults enjoy adultery?
How is it possible to have a civil war?
If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?
If you're born again, do you have two belly buttons?
If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?
Why is the alphabet in that order? Is it because of that song?
Why is there an expiration date on sour cream?
If most car accidents occur within five miles of home, why doesn't everyone just move ten miles away?

No comments:

Post a Comment