Tuesday, January 4, 2011

750 miles

QUOTE from Judith Thurman: WE HAVE ONE LIFE TO LIVE - AND ONE CHANCE TO LIVE
IT IN THE RICHEST WAY POSSIBLE.

One GOAL reached in 2010. One of my goals every year is to walk at least two miles a day. I acieved my goal in 2010 by walking 748 miles. That averages out to be 2.05 miles a day. I cut it close but I made it. My best year in the 2000s was 2008 when I walked 838 miles, an average of 2.3 miles a day. My worst year was 2007 when I was recovering from lung surgery and prostate cancer surgery - I only had 554 miles.

I'm in love with walking, for many reasons. PARADE MAGAZINE HAD AN ARTICLE THIS WEEK ABOUT THE BENEFITS OF WALKING. A new study at the University of Pittsburgh consisting of 299 adults, who were studied for 13 years showed that walking six to nine miles a week may stop your brain from shrinking as you age. The head professor of this project said that, "Exercise increases ther amount of blood going to the brain which means that more of the important nutrients necessary for the brain to function are distributed." Those who walked the most had half the risk of developing memory problems as those who walked the least. So I'm going to keep walking.

No comments:

Post a Comment