Saturday, January 8, 2011

My favaorite Uncle Lewie story.

QUOTE from Warren Buffett: OF ALL THE BILLIONAIRES I HAVE KNOWN, MONEY JUST BRINGS OUT THE BASIC TRAITS IN THEM. IF THEY WERE JERKS BEFORE THEY HAD MONEY, THEY ARE SIMPLY JERKS WITH A BILLION DOLLARS.


Today in HISTORY:

1935: Elvis Presley was born in Tupelo, Miss.

1959: Fidel Castro and his army arrived in Havana in triumph following the overthrow of Fulgencio Batista.

1940: The life expectancy in 1940 was 64 years. I was born in that year so at age 70 I'm doing okay.

A fond MEMORY of UNCLE LEWIE:

I'm rereading my Gratitude Journal from 2009. I read today my January 8, 2009 entry. I wrote that day that I was grateful for my aunts and uncles. I forgot I had written about Uncle Lewie and my favorite memory of him. It is worth repeating as it is downright funny. Lewie was known as a story teller and this will prove it. HERE IS WHAT I WROTE:

Of all my aunts and uncles Lewie is the most memorable because he was a bachelor, lived in our home during my high school years, and was quite the story teller. Lewie enhanced my life by telling wild stories which I have gotten to tell over and over my whole life. I need to tell this one to let the readers know what a storyteller he was. HERE IS THE STORY.

Lewie said he was called to take a physical for the army in January of 1918. There were 75 guys ordered to report to the Dodge County Courthouse in Mantorville, Minn. for the physical. When all were assembled on the main floor of the courthouse they were ordered to take off their clothes. Lewie said they had to stand naked from 9 AM to 4 PM and to save on the fuel bill the thermostat was turned down to 60 degrees. All the main county offices were on the main floor and, of course, they all had secretaries. Lewie said that normally the secretaries would go to the bathroom once in the morning and once in the afternoon. But that day with 75 naked men in the hallway THEY WENT TO THE BATHROOM EVERY HALF HOUR.

Lewie had other stories but this my favorite. Lewie enhanced my life by leaving me with some great funny memories for a lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment