Thursday, May 5, 2011

I finally found the answer.

QUOTE from Mark Twain: "Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great."

I LEARNED something I have wondered about for many years. Over my seventy years I've looked at myself in the mirror and wondered why I had nipples on my chest. I could see no good reason why males had to have them. When browsing through Barnes and Noble I saw a book that sparked my curiosity. The title was, WHY DO MEN HAVE NIPPLES. There it was, the answer to my question. The book was written by Dr. Billy Goldbeerg, an ER doctor in New York City. Here is the reason men have nipples.

We are mammals and blessed with body hair, three middle ear bones, and the ability to nourish our young with milk that females produce in modified sweat glands called mammary glands. Although females have the mammary glands, we all start out in the same way in the embryo. During development. the embryo follows a female template until about six weeks, when the male sex chromosome kicks in for a male embryo. The embryo then begins to develop all of its male characteristics. Men are thus left with nipples and also some breast tissue. Men can even get breast cancer and there are some medical conditions that can cause male breasts to enlarge. Abnormal enlargement of the breasts in a male in known as gynecomastia.

HUMOR for today: Male breast enlargement can be caused by using anabolic steroids. So, if Barry Bonds ends up coming to the old-timers game with a pair of sagging 44DD man boobs, then I think we will finally have our answer to the steroid controversy. (Dr. Billy Goldberg's words.)

Thanks to Dr. Goldberg I no longer have to wonder why I have those two nipples,

No comments:

Post a Comment