Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Pete's BLOG-Day 26,454. The futility of the Chicago Cubs.

Today is Tuesday, April 23, 2013. My stats today: 10 minutes of yoga, 10 minutes on the ball and 38 minutes of walking = 2.1 miles for an April total of 47.0 miles. My weight was 161.6 pounds.

Inspiring QUOTE from OUR IOWA magazine: "It's the company, not the cooking, that makes a great meal."

My THOUGHTS today are on the utter futility of the Chicago Cubs. Right now the Cubs have a 5-13 win-loss record. The only team with a worse record is Miami with a 4-15 record and they are tied with Houston and San Diego who also have 5 wins. Last night was another example of their futility when they played the Cincinnati Reds. The Cubs were leading 2-0 and then gave up 2 runs in the seventh to make it a tie game. It goes into extra innings - in the top of the 13th the Cubs score 2 runs for a 4-2 lead. So what do they do - they give up 3 runs in the bottom of the 13th to lose the game 5-4. To be a Cub fan means you're not too smart - it is the quickest way I know to drive somebody to thinking about suicide.

They need some pitching, especially from the relievers. I'm about ready to call my old high school pitcher in Chatfield, Minnesota to see if he would come out of retirement. His name is Jerry Narveson - he's 72-years-old now but I bet he still has that blazing fastball and sweeping curve ball he had in high school. If the Cubs had him they'd at least have a reliable reliever, He couldn't do any worse than those clowns they have now.
What do you think Jerry?
Jerry, there is a way to get the ball rolling but it is going to take some help from Carson Ode. Carson has some sway in Des Moines and I'm sure, after batting against you in 1956 and remembering your fastball and curveball, he would write a letter to the Iowa Cubs in Des Moines and highly recommend you get a try-out with them. (The Iowa Cubs are the Triple AAA affiliate of the Chicago Cubs.) What do you think Carson?
(P.S. When you write that letter please don't say anything about Jerry throwing  watermelons or anything about all those hits you say you got against Jerry.)

2 comments:

  1. Hi Pete. You say they are 5-13, thats good postition for last place. They better sign Carson, he gets all of those base hits, in his dreams of course. I would have to schedule a couple of games with Lanesboro to get my confidence up. Jerry

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Jerry. I wish him the best in his try out with Cubs. If he makes it , I think I’ll give it a try. I sure as hell did not have any trouble hitting him in high school.

    Carson

    ReplyDelete