Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Happy Days in Hawkeyeland.

QUOTE from George Will: FOOTBALL COMBINES THE WORST FEATURES OF AMERICAN LIFE. IT IS VIOLENCE PUNCTUATED BY COMMITTEE MEETINGS.

GRATITUDE for today: Last night the Iowa Hawkeyes defeated the Missouri Tigers in the Insight Bowl in Tempe, AZ. The score was 27 to 24. Iowa scored on a 72 yard interception by Mycah Hyde with five minutes to go.
I became a Hawkeye fan in 1962 when we moved to Anamosa, Iowa to begin my teaching career. I was a died-in-the-wool Minnesota Gopher fan but my love for the Gophers faded when I was surrounded by Hawkeye fanatics in 1962. The Hawkeyes were perpetual losers until Hayden Fry came in 1979 - by 1981 he had them in the Rose Bowl. For the last 30 years the Hawks have given Pete and Ruth Ann and Brad and Carron a whole lot of joy (and some disappointments.) Last night was pure JOY.
I'm grateful to be a Hawk because as the saying goes in Hawkeland, "IT'S GREAT TO BE A HAWKEYE."

No comments:

Post a Comment