Monday, December 13, 2010

STRESS LESS by Thea Singer

Quote from Frank Tyger: BE A GOOD LISTENER. UNLIKE YOUR MOUTH, YOUR EARS WILL NEVER GET YOU IN TROUBLE.

What I LEARNED today:

This morning I finished reading the PARADE Magazine from the Sunday paper. I read the section called STAYHEALTHY - ONE WEEK TO BEAT STRESS by Emily Listfield. Emily alluded to the fact that we live in stressful times. But there are ways to manage it. Emily asked Thea Singer, author of STRESS LESS, for her best anxiety-alleviating advice. Thea had five great tips. (I graded myself and am proud to say I did well on these five tips.)

1. Have attainable goals and work toward achieving one a day. (I'm going to give myself an "A" on this one. One goal I have each day is to walk for at least two miles with a goal of 60 miles a month. I have other goals I reach every day but I won't belabor the point.) Ms. Singer said "if it's a goal you can meet, you're going to alter your perception of stress in general."

2. Notice something good that happened to you today and tell someone about it. ( I deserve a "B' on this one, I definitely notice something good everyday but don't always tell Ruth Ann or others.)

3. Exercise regularly; it can essentially stress-proof your brain. ( I get another "A".)

4. Keep a gratitude journal where you write down one thing you're thankful for every day. (Another "A' for me. I did that everyday in 2009. I continue to "be grateful" everyday. I will be sharing some of them in this blog.)

5. And concentrate on "being mindful" for at least 10 minutes a day. I do that in the morning before I get out of bed. I do a yoga deep breathing routine for 10 minutes and then get up. (I learned it from Yoga Journal.) All I think about when doing those 40 deep breaths is feeling the the lungs expand and the oxygen getting into my blood stream. Nothing else enters my mind. It energizes me and I feel stress free. This is my way of 'being mindful". (I'm giving myself another "A").

HUMOR for today: A 55 year old man went to the doctor. After some tests etc. the doctor said he was doing "fairly well " for his age. The guy was a little concerned about that comment so he asked the Doc, "Do you think I'll live to be 8o?"

Doc asked, "Do you smoke tobacco, or drink beer, wine or hard liquor?"

Guy says,"Oh no and I don't do drugs either."

Doc, "Do you eat rib-eye steaks and barbecued ribs?"

Guy, "Not much. my last doctor said that all red meat is very unhealthy."

Doc, "Do you spend a lot ot time in the sun, like playing golf, boating, sailing, hiking or biking?"

Guy, "No, I don't."

Doc, "Do you gamble, drive fast cars or have lots of sex?"

Gum "No,I don't that either."

Doc, "Then, why do you even give a damn?"

No comments:

Post a Comment