Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Pete's BLOG-Day 26,223. Why I walk six days a week.

Today is Tuesday, September 4, 2012 - another hot and humid early school release day. My stats today: 10 minutes of yoga, 10 minutes on the exercise ball and 38 minutes of walking = 2.0 miles for a September total of 6.5 miles. I walked the cemetary today. My weight was 162.2 pounds.

QUOTE  from Charles Dickens: " The sum of the whole is this: walk and be happy, walk and be healthy."

I LEARNED today why I walk instead of running 26 mile marathons. The quote above sums up why I walk - it makes me happy and and makes me healthy - plus I like to do it. This morning in the newspaper I read an article that added fuel to and justified my joy of walking. The article said that according to a recent study marathon running may trigger a lung condition that causes shortness of breath, severe coughing, and in serious cases, heart attacks or respiratory failure.
     Half of 26 runners in a 2011 Pennsylvania marathon had some form of pulmonary edema, in which fluid builds up in the air sacs of the lungs, about 20 minutes after the race. Twenty percent of the runners had a moderate or severe form of the condition. Previous studies showed marathon runners are at risk of high blood pressure and heart complications.
     The author of the study said "While pulmonary edema can be a negative consequence of marathon running, regular exercise can also keep you fit and healthy."

AMEN - I'll keep walking.

HUMOR for today: A mountain lion ate a bull. He was so full and happy that he started to roar. A hunter heard the lion roar and shot and killed him.The MORAL of the story is:  When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.

No comments:

Post a Comment