Thursday, September 6, 2012

PETE'S blog-dAY 26,225. Hurrah for coffee.

Today is Thursday, September 6, 2012 - a wonderful day with temps in the high 70s. My stats today" 10 minutes of yoga, 10 minutes of the exercise ball and 60 minutes of walking = 3.1 miles for a September total of 12.2 miles. My weight was 163.0 pounds.

QUOTE from Ronald Reagan" "I never drink coffee at lunch. I find it keeps me awake for the afternoon.

What I LEARNED today. I truly enjoy my two cups of coffee after my workout and breakfast. The morning newspaper made me enjoy this mornings coffee even more. The headline said STUDY FINDS NEW BENEFIT OF COFFEE: IT REDUCES PAIN. A study was done in Norway with 48 volunteers who could drink coffee or not while doing an experiment designed by researchers from  Norway's Institute of Occupational Health and Oslo University Hospital. The 48 volunteers spent 90 minutes performing fake computer tasks meant to mimic office work. The 19 volunteers who drank coffee had a lower intensity of pain in the neck and shoulders than the 29 people who didn't. The average shoulder and neck pain intensity was 41 (on a 100 point scale)  for the coffee drinkers while the non-drinkers had 55.
     The article went on to say that coffee has already been found to do many other things to keep the body healthy. Such as: help with weight loss, reduce the risk of developing Alaheimer's disease or dementia, boost muscle growth, protect against certain types of cancer and can even reduce one's risk of premature death, among many other benefits.
       Drinking COFFEE is a win-win deal.

HUMOR for today: The Chicago Cubs lost again last night to the Nationals. The CUBS have the second worst record in the major leagues - only Houston is worse. The Cubs are 51-85 and 31 games our of first place while the Astros are 42-95 and 40 1/2 games out. Ruth Ann and I get our laugh of the day when we look up the Cubs score every nmorning. To be a little more fair about the Cubs I should mention that they are rebuilding under the direction of Theo Epstein (the former Red Sox GM). They have many young players who, I hope, will improve a lot in the years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment