Monday, April 25, 2011

How FESB can make the senior years more enjoyable.

QUOTE from Helen Gurley Brown: "Money, if it does not bring you happiness, will at least help you be miserable in comfort."

I LEARNED how FESB can make the senior years more enjoyable.In Sunday's Cedar Rapids Gazette there was a supplement entitled, "Retirement Living." One of the articles was entitled, "Move It! Exercise is a key to good health at any age." I pretty much knew everything I read but it was good to refresh my memory, especially about the benefits. The article said the key to good health is an exercise routine that consists of four types of activity. I've made a mnemonic out of those four - I call them FESB. The F stands for FLEXIBITY;  the E stands for ENDURANCE; the S stands for STRENGTH; the B stands for BALANCE. The key is to work all four of those into a weeks workout routine.

I'm pleased to say I do all four of those in my exercise routine. My philosophy is that I can take one hour hour of each day to exercise - I do mine in the morning. I realize I will not be able to do these forever so when I'm still able I'm going to do them. I take the first fifteen minutes of the hour to lift weights three days a week, do the excercise ball three days a week, do yoga postures everyday, and then walk for 45 minutes everyday.. I feel I fulfill all the FESB criteria - at least for a 70 year old man - and I feel great.

I hope the benefits, as enumerated in the article, are true for me as I get up in years. The benefits of FESB exercising are many. They can reverse type 2 diabetes and high cholestorol. They can prevent or delay
such conditions as dementia, osteroarthritis, obesity, high blood pressure, and osteoporosis (osteo means bone). Even if you have an irreversible disease FESB will slow the progression. FESB is also fantastic for the prevention and treatment of anxiety and depression. That is really true for me as I don't feel I'm wasting my life as a couch potato.

By doing FESB I have more energy and more positive thoughts which enable me to write books and write this BLOG. Exercising the mind is just as important as the body - they go together. I realize I will not be able to write books or BLOGS the rest of my life so I'm going to exercise both body and mind as long as I can. I love to write and share my perspectives on life - it keeps me learning and laughing.

HUMOR for today: Whe men shouldn't take messages.

A husband was home alone when the phone rang. It was the doctors office calling to talk to his wife. She wasn't home so the husband said he would take the message. This is the note he left his wife.

"Someone from the Gyna Colleges called. They said the Pabst Beer is fine. I thought you didn't like beer."





                     

No comments:

Post a Comment