Friday, April 8, 2011

How a Mother changed the life of one of baseballs greatest pitchers.

QUOTE from Maya Angelou: I've learned that every day you should reach out and touch someone. People love a warm hug or just a friendly pat on the back..."

What I LEARNED today. I've been reading the book, AMAZING BUT TRUE SPORTS STORIES. I found this particular story really interesting. It is the story of how the the mother of Randy Johnson changed the life of Randy, her six year old son.

Randy was six years old when he wanted to try out for the Little League team in his hometown of Livermore, California, 25 miles east of Oakland, Randy says, "I went there by myself because my mom and dad both worked. There I was with a bunch of other kids, feeling like a lost puppy dog. I didn't know where to go, who to see. I got lost, started crying, and went home." Johnson's mother soon arrived home and found her young son sitting inside the house, crying. When she learned of Randy's experience and his fears, she decided to march him right back out to the tryout. So she took Randy by the hand, walked back to the baseball fields, convinced her son to participate in the tryouts, and had him placed on a Little League team. The rest is truly history.

:She knew I wanted to play." Johnson says. "And when I think about it, if she hadn't taken me back, I might not be where I am today."

 Imagine a great sports career that almost ended on the day it began. Thanks to a thoughtful and persistant Mom - she didn't let it happen.

HUMOR for today. In April Maya Angelou was interviewed by Oprah on her 70+ birthday. Oprah asked her what she thought of growing older. And, there on television, she said it was exciting...Regarding body changes, she said there were many, occuring every day...like her breasts. The seem to be in a race to see which will reach her waist, first.

No comments:

Post a Comment