Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Ted Turner and I think alike.

QUOTE from Jim Rohn, businessman/author: "To solve any problem, here are three questions to ask yourself: First, What can I do? Second, What can I read? And third, Who can I ask?"

I LEARNED today that Ted Turner and I think alike. I've been reading TIME Magazine's "The World's 100 Most Influential People."The article that caught my attention was written by Ted Turner. He was explaining why Oprah Winfrey deserved to be in the TOP 100.

He said in the last 25 years Oprah's show has transformed daytime TV and inspired, improved and changed the lives of people around the world. I have always admired independent thinkers, those with courage, faith and intuition to forge their own ways. and are intent on bettering the world along the way. Oprah, 57, defines this approach. She has not only made it to the top with the cards stacked against her, but she has also made extraordinary contributions to our global community through her philanthropic efforts.

He concluded by saying: I have often said that if women ruled the world for the next 100 years, we'd all be better off. With Oprah's new network, (OWN), I have a feeling that with the possibilities at her fingertips, we may be a step closer.

When I was reading this I was tellling myself that this is exactly how I feel about Oprah. And I've had the same feelings about women ruling the world. I'm in awe as to how she has made something of her life, coming from poverty in Mississippi. Oprah is one of my heroes and so is Ted Turner.

At our daily Happy Hour gathering places I'm appalled at some of the comments I've heard about her. One guy said he wasn't going to watch that "nigger." Another guy said she makes too much money. A lady bartender told me she didn't dare turn on Oprah because the men in there would object, rather loudly. We've made some progress in this country but we sure have a ways to go.

HUMOR for today: Some funny questions for bookstore clerks.
"Can you tell me who the author of Shakespeare is?"
"I'm looking for a book, but I only know the title, not the author. It's called Dante's Inferno."
"I definitely don't want nonfiction. I like autobiographies and history."
"Do you have Shakespeare in English?"

No comments:

Post a Comment