Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Pete Bungum's BLOG - Day 26,132 in my journey through life.

Today is Wednesday, June 6, 2012 - an absolutely beautiful day - perfect. I'm grateful for another day of "I'm HIV."This morning I did yoga, lifted weights, and walked 45 minutes = 2.5 miles for a June total of 12.8 miles. My weight stayed at 161.6 pounds.

Today is a famous day in 20th century history. It was D-Day, June 6, 1944,  when over a 160,000 U.S., British and Canadian troops landed on the coast of Normandy, France to begin the retaking of Europe from the grip of Adolf Hitler's Nazis. Over 2,500 were killed the first day. The U.S. troops took the brunt of it on Omaha and Utah beaches. I've tried to imagine what was going through the minds of the troops as they headed for the beaches. I think I know what I would've been thinking - I would've been praying

Today is kind of a D-Day for me personally. My sister Jan called last night to say our brother Chuck had had a stroke. She didn't know any details. Marlys, Chuck's wife, called this morning to give us the sad details. Chuck is in a Fargo, North Dakota hospital. He had a massive stroke, is bleeding in the brain and the cavity is filling with blood, he is unconscious/unresponsive and cannot talk. Plus he is breathing heavily. It is not good and the odds of him ever coming out of this are one-in-a-million. If he does come out of it he will be a vegetable. Marlys and the kids will make a decision tomorrow as to whether they should unhook the respirator/ventilator and just him him die of natural causes. The doctors said they have done all they can and will let nature take its course. Ruth Ann and I are predicting he will not make it through tomorrow.

This is sad but I'm prepared for it in that I know that this is part of life. If he goes he will be the third of us nine kids to die. . Karen in 1944 at age six hours, Betty in 1977 at age 79 and now Chuck at age 75.

No comments:

Post a Comment