Thursday, July 19, 2012

Pete Bungum's BLOG - Day 26,175 - History of doughnuts.

Today is Thursday, July 19, 2012. It is a little cooler today.

I'm sick of writing about my cold. I'm still not 100%, in fact, I'm far from it. I have two days of prednisone left and four days of levoquin and I see the doctor again next Monday.

So today, to get my mind off coughing and nose blowing, I'm going to write about some other stuff. I love historical  trivia so I'll try that today for a change of pace. (I found these gems in a Bathroom Book I have.)

1. Doughnuts originated in 16th century Holland. They were cooked in oil, and were so greasy that the Dutch called them oily-koeks, or oily cakes.

2. The Pilgrims, who'd  lived in Holland, brought the cakes with them when they came to America. Their version: a round doughy ball about the size of  nut - a doughnut.

3. The origin of the doughnut hole: Captain Hanson Gregory, a 19th century Maine sea captain, was eating a doughnut while sailing through a storm. Suddenly the ship rocked violently and threw him against the ship's wheel - impaling his cake on one of the spokes. Seeing how well the spoke held his cake, Gregory began ordering all of his cakes with holes in them.

4. Doughnuts were popularized in the U.S. after the Salvation Army fed doughnuts - cooked in garbage pails and served on bayonets - to troops during WWI. Soldiers got so hooked on them that they were called "doughboys."

5. The French have a dougnut they call pet de nonne, - "Nun's fart." According to legend, a nun living in the abbey of Marmoutier was preparing food for a religious feast. Suddenly she farted, and the other nuns laughed at her. She was so  embarassed that she dropped the spoonful of dough she was holding into a pot of boiling oil - accidently making a doughnut.

No comments:

Post a Comment