Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Pete's BLOG - Days 26,179. Part III Puritans.

Today is Monday, July 23, 2012. It is another hot and steamy day and still no rain. Yesterday was day 26,178 - the computer was on the blink and I just got online again now.

I went to Dr. Vernon this morning. I'm close to 90% healthy but he wants me to take anti-biotics for seven more days. I can almost say I'm grateful for another day of HIV - but not yet.

I've been writing about the Puritans - I read about them in my Bathroom Reader. I find this kind of stuff very interesting. Today, it is Part III and the topic is Puritans and sex.

The Puritans dealt very severely with deviations from the sexual norm. In 1647, a 16 year-old  boy from Plymouth, Mass. was "detected of buggery (having sex) with a mare, a cow, two goats, five sheep, two calves and a turkey."  This was reported to Governor Bradford and the punishment was severe. The mare, cow, goats, sheep, calves, and turkey were killed in front of the boy and then he was put to death. Governor Bradford said they had to execute the animals and the boy because it was the law. The law that Bradford was referring to was in the Old Testament in the book of Leviticus, chapter 20, verse 15.

That verse read as follows: "If a man has sexual intercourse with an animal, he shall be executed and the animal killed."

No comments:

Post a Comment