Friday, July 20, 2012

Pete's BLOG- Day 26,176. Part I about the Puritans.

Today is Friday, July 20, 2012. It was a nice cool morning but it is hotter than hell at 2 PM.
I slept better last night. I had enough energy to do some yard work this morning. I didn't have to mow -just used the wee-whip to get rid of the weeds. We haven't mowed in 5 weeks. I still haven't walked since I got home on the 9th - will probably try tomorrow for a half mile.

I was reading my Bathroom Book this morning and ran into some interesting stuff.  I was reading about the Puritans and what they believed and how they lived when they came to America.

 PART I:   Were the Puritans "puritanical"? In many ways, yes. The had little toleration for differences of opinion. They didn't think much of the concept of democracy, either - John Winthrop, first governor of the Massachusetts Bay Colony, called it "the meanest and worst of all forms of government." The religious freedom they left Europe to find was denied in their own settlements, where religious dissenters were expelled.

I'm going to write about the Puritans for several days.

No comments:

Post a Comment