Saturday, July 21, 2012

Pete's BLOG - Day 26,177. Prt II about the Puritans.

Today is Saturday, July 21, 2012. Not quite so hot today but still no rain. Things are getting serious for the farmers all over, especially the midwest. I still can't say I'm grateful for another day of HIV - but I'm getting closer. This morning I did walk for 17 minutes - almost a mile. I tried doing my routine on the exercise ball but to no avail. I got out my yoga mat and my ball, laid back on the ball and was going to do some sit-ups but I simply couldn't - the old cough erupted. So I decided I'd try walking instead and go slow. It worked and I wasn't that short of breath. So I'm making progress. With the addition of 9/10s of a mile I'm up to 16.4 miles for the month of July.

Part II: The Puritans. Every morning I read something while doing nature's call. I have this bathroom book that Brad gave me in Denmark. I started reading it there - I liked it so much that I asked Brad if I could take it home. He agreed.  This Puritan stuff had gotten my attention.

The Puritans didn't celebrate Christmas - in fact, they made it illegal to do so. A law passed in 1659 levied a 5 - shilling fine against anyone "found observing, by abstinence from labor, feasting or any other way, any such days as Christmas day."

On the other hand, the Puritans reputation for shyness about sex was a fabrication by 19th century historians who were trying to give their Colonial ancestors a moral makeover. In reality, the Puritans considered sex a public concern and regularly discussed it during meetings.They valued sexual intercourse inside marriage to such an extent that, after lengthy public discussion, they expelled a husband from the church community because he had refused to sleep with his wife for over two years. Furthermore, parents and children all slept in close proximity. so youngsters got plenty of sexual education at an early age, with visual aids.

h

No comments:

Post a Comment