Friday, February 8, 2013

Pete's BLOG-Day 26,380. Anamosa hero - Marshall Yanda - the Ravens did it

Today is Friday, February 8, 2013. My stats today: 10 minutes of yoga, 10 minutes lifting weights and 37 minutes of walking = 2.0 miles for a February total of 18.3 miles. My weight was down to 163.6 pounds. (I cut out my sweets yesterday and elimanated a few more calories and lost nearly two pounds.)

QUOTE from Jim Doyne: "Money can't buy happiness, but it helps you to be unhappy in comfort."

My THOUGHTS today: We got the local Anamosa newspaper yesterday - of course, the headline was Anamosa's Yanda Super Bowl Champion. There were three photos of Marshall: #1 he was holding the Lombardi Trophy on the plane taking the team back to Baltimore. Marshall had a big smile on his face; #2 was a photo of Marshall blocking for Joe Flacco; and #3 was Marshall walking onto the 50 yard line with 7 other Ravens for the pre-game coin flip. Here are some comments by Marshall when he was contacted by phone by our local sports editor on Monday afternoon as he was boarding the plane.
"Right now, it just hasn't completely sunk in yet the magnitude of this win. I have a hard time putting into words what that means for me personally and professionally. I guess it can't get any better than this."
When the 49'ers were ready to score the winning touchdown in the last couple of minutes Marshall said; "As offensive players we have to think worst-case scenario and be prepared for the 49'ers scoring on that last drive. We've been in situations like that before, but thankfully we didn't have to again. Our defense came up with incredible stops, and then the party was on."
Yanda was able to celebrate on the field with his wife Shannon and their children Graham and Libby. His mother Ruth Byrd and father John (his mom and dad are divorced) along with sister Katie and members of his wife's family all made their way down onto the Superdome turf to enjoy the moment. Marshall said: "It was a very emotional time for all of us. It's been an amazing journey, which started way back in Anamosa. Who would have ever thought it would it would lead here to the Super Bowl? Just goes to show, dreams can come true if you just believe in yourself and work hard."

Yanda, as well as his teammates and families celebrated into the early morning hours after the colossal Super Bowl win. "I think I may have finally closed my eyes at about 7am. I've never seen a party like the one we had after the Super Bowl. Just incredible."

His post-season plans include: "I'm going to have surgery for my rotator cuff and then get in a lot of ice fishing in Canada. I'll bring my wife and kids back to Iowa first. I always look forward to coming home and spending time with family and friends. I'm ready to kick back a little bit."

Marshall graduated from Anamosa in 2003. I had him as my student in seventh grqd geography in 1997. He was an average student, a good kid with a pleasant way about him. I would never have predicted he would be on a winning Super Bowl team. He was not the best student in high school and couldn't get into Iowa or Iowa State to play football because of his low grades and poor ACT tests. So he went to North Iowa Community College in Mason City to play football, get a new attitude and get his grades in order. After two years there he had straightened out his grades (and attitude) and that's when Kirk Ferentz saw a video of him and offered him full ride scholarship to play football and graduate (which he did). After his senior year Ferentz (who had coached offensive line for the Ravens before he came to Iowa in 1999) called the Ravens and said they should draft Yanda because he had the potential to be a good offensive lineman in the NFL. The Ravens drafted him in the third round in 2007 and the rest is history.

HUMOR for today: We should exchange problems. Everybody seems to know how to solve the other's problems.




No comments:

Post a Comment