Sunday, February 24, 2013

Pete's BLOG-Day 26,396. Three babies per second.

Today is Sunday, February 24, 2013. No stats today - my day off. My weight was 163.8 pounds.

QUOTE from Judith Bigham in Guideposts Magazine: "True wealth is living simply-
learning what not to want and how not to want it."

My THOUGHTS  today. For the last two Sunday mornings I've been attending a church study group. We are examining a book entitled Exodus From Hunger by David Beckman. He is an ordained Lutheran minister who has been involved for many years in alleviating hunger and poverty in the world. This morning I brought up
some food for thought for our group of  14. I told them that Beckman hadn't addressed
the question of population growth in the world. In my opinion it is the main cause of poverty and hunger in the developing world. At the end of our discussion I told everybody that I had something I wanted to say regarding the topic of poverty and hunger.
Over the years I've given money to an organization called ZPG (Zero Population Growth). Their goal is to get world population growth to zero. That doesn't mean no more babies but the same amount of babies will be born as there are deaths in the
world. In other words the world's population will not grow. The statistic I wanted them
to think about was this: EVERY SECOND OF EVERY DAY, OUR GLOBAL POPULATION GROWS BY THREE BABIES. They were shocked!! Even the most
conservative guy in the room said "That is the problem." Next Sunday I'm going
with the total of new babies we have to feed from the last 7 days. I think I've added a
whole new dimension to our discussion. We'll see!!!! The leader of our discussion group talked to me afterward and thanked me for bringing it up. He said,
"You're right, Beckman did not address that issue."

No comments:

Post a Comment