Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Pete's BLOG-Day 26,385. Reasons to close the gun show loophole..

Today is Wednesday, February 13, 2012. My stats today: 10 minutes of yoga, 10 minutes of lifting weights and 37 minutes of walking = 2.0 miles for a February total of 28.0 miles. My weight went to 161.4 pounds.

QUOTE from the book of Romans 15:4: 'Everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that....we might have hope."

My THOUGHTS today are about reasons to close the gun show loophole. Yesterday I received a letter from the Brady Campaign To Prevent Gun Violence. It had petitions for me to sign to send to Senators Grassley and Harkin- which I've signed. They gave 5 reasons why there is a need to close the gun show loopholes.
1. 10% of the guns used in crimes by juveniles and children were sold at gun shows and flea markets.
2. 63% of private sellers sold guns to purchasers who said they could not pass a background check.
3. "I would not have bought a gun for Eric and Dylan (the Columbine killers) if I had had to give any personal information or submit to any kind of check at all. (This is from Robyn Anderson, friend who bought guns at a local gun show for Eric and Dylan,)
4. 50%-75% of the vendors at most gun shows are unlicensed dealers.
5. No background checks are required by unlicensed sellers.

I want to be optimistic but I don't know. The stranglehold the NRA and gun manufacturers have on our members of Congress is disheartening, to say the least. I know Harkin will vote the right way but I'm worried about Grassley. I don't trust that guy anymore. We'll probably get something but it won't be enough.

HUMOR for today: One good thing about being wrong is the joy it brings to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment