Saturday, May 5, 2012

Pete Bungum's BLOG - Day 26,063 in my journey through life.

Today is Saturday, May 5, 2012 - a cloudy day with temps in high 60s and low 70s. I'm grateful for another day of "I'm HIV." (I'm going to continue to write this - my hope is to say it every day for many years to come. "I'm HIV" means "I'm healthy and I'm vertical." - without good health my life would be more difficult.

This morning I walked 54 minutes = 3.0 miles for a May total of 12 miles. My weight was at 164.4 pounds.

At 11 am this morning  Ruth Ann is getting a perm. She got her nails done yesterday and her hair today - she will be stunning. I've often wondered how women throughout history took care of their hair before the creation of the beauty salon. But salons do a good job of making women happier because women  always feel happier when they come home with a fresh hairdo. So beauty salons are one more thing I'm grateful for.

Today is also "The Cinco de Mayo Holiday" in Mexico - it is also celebrated in the U.S. I'm guessing most people do not know the who, what, when, where, and why of this holiday. For years I did not know  myself until I finally did some research to satisfy my curiosity. Without much detail here is a brief  history of Cinco de Mayo as explained in the morning newspaper. 

"In 1862 the Battle of Puebla took place in Mexico as forces loyal to Benito Juarez defeated troops that had been sent by Napolean III during the so-called French Intervention. The Cinco de Mayo holiday commemorites Mexico's victory."

At least we know the who, what, when, where and why of Cinco de Mayo.  Many people think this holiday is Mexico'a Independence Day - that day originated in 1910. I don't know the day, however.)

No comments:

Post a Comment