Sunday, May 6, 2012

Pete Bungum's BLOG - Day 26,064 in my journey through life.

Today is Sunday, May 6, 2012 - it cloudy but nice - in the high 60s. I'm grateful for another day "I'm HIV."

On Sundays I just walk instead of doing all my other exercises. This morning I walked for 45 minutes = 2.5 miles for a May total of 14.5 miles. My weight was at 163.4 pounds.

Ruth Ann and I went to 10:30 church. It was fun to watch the elementaty Sunday School kids sing two songs. The first one was to list in order all the books of the Old Testament and the second was about how David slew Goliath,  the Philistine giant. Theie actions were so humorous. Church is so much more interesting when we have performances like this.

MY THOUGHTS TODAY; I've been reading the Sunday paper. I read an article that there is big disagreement about how effective the Bush/Cheney enhanced interrogation (water boarding) techniques were in obtaining information from al-Qaeda detainees. Most experts on torture say it is counter-productive as prisoners will say anything, including fabricating information. And it also puts American POWs at greater risk of being mistreated when they are captured. A country like the U.S., that places so much emphasis on civil rights, shouldn't resort to violating international standards for the humane treatment of prisoners in the false belief that it will keep us safe.

 What I'm getting at is that I'm grateful that President Obama, in 2009, banned the CIA from using torture anymore. Even John McCain agreed with his decision as he knows what torture is like, having gone through it in a North Vietnamese POW camp for six years.

No comments:

Post a Comment