Thursday, May 24, 2012

Pete Bungum's BLOG - DAy 26,119 in my journey through life.

Today is Thursday, May 24, 2012 - still another nice day but maybe we have even better  news - we may get rain this afternoon. I'm gratefdul for another day of "I'm HIV."

This morning I did yoga, the exercise ball and walked 45 minutes through the State Park = 2.5 miles for a May total of 56.3 miles. My weight was at 161.6 pounds.

I LEARNED SOMETHING NEW TODAY: I always read the TODAY IN HISTORY column. I'm a history nut so whatever  happened on this day in history I enjoy knowing about it. A couple of things caught my attention.

1. On May 24, 1937, the U.S. Supreme Court upheld the constitutionality of FDR's  Social Security Act of 1935. Can you imagine what this country would be like if they had  ruled the opposite. It has been a lifesaver for millions of American the last 70 years. And now we are seeing the same thing  happening with Obama's Affordable Care Act. The Supreme Court will rule on it in June. It will be interesting to see if we go forward or go backwards in achieving health care for America's people.

2. On May 24, 1935, the first major league baseball game to be played at night took place at Cincinnati's Crosley Field. The Reds won 2-1 over the Phillies. I'm also a baseball nut so this caught my attention.  By the way, the last team to get lights was the Cubs (in the 1980s I think)- it is kind of fitting since the word "last" pretty much describes the Chicago Cubs organizarion.

No comments:

Post a Comment