Thursday, May 31, 2012

Pete Bungum's BLOG - Day 26,126 in my journey through life.

Today is Thursday, May 31, 2012 - a rainy day and cool with temps in the 50s.  Again,  I'm grateful for another day of "I'm HIV."
This morning I did yoga, the exercise ball and walked 40 minutes = 2.2 miles for a May total of 69 miles.I had to walk inside Walmart because of the rain.
I feel a need to say "I'm grateful " again  for what happened over night and this morning- we got close to an inch of rain.  The farmers were starting to get concerned as we have not had measureable rain for over a month. According to news reports they were especially concerned about their soybeans getting off to a good start. This inch of rain will help a lot. I'm grateful that Mother Nature came through.

I watched the last two hours of "The Hatfields and McCoys" last night. I found the six-hour show very interesting and I learned a lot about both families and the culture of the day in Appalachia in the 1870s and 1880s. The vendetta between the families lasted more than a dozen years and cost the lives of more than a dozen people. Was one family more responsible than the other? My initial feeling was that the Hatfields were more to blame than the McCoys. But I came to the conclusion that both sides did their share of continuing to cause problems. The just wouldn't let it go. And booze played a big part - there was a lot of boozing in those days. - especially on election days. Old Man "Old Ranel"McCoy died in 1914 and Old Man "Devil Anse" Hatfield in 1921.

No comments:

Post a Comment