Monday, May 7, 2012

Pete Bungum's BLOG - Day 26,065 in my journey through life.

Today is Monday, May 7, 2012 - A nice sunny day in low 70s. I'm grateful for another day of "I'm HIV."

Today I walked for 27 minutes = 1.5 miles for a May total of 16.0 miles. My weight went down to 162.6 pounds.

I went to a funeral today. The funeral was for the husband of a former teaching colleague of mine (for over 20 years at West Middle School). Her name is Joan (Schneider Kuhns) Husman. His name was Jay Husman and it was the second marriage for both of them. Jay was a Navy veteran and served in Vietnam in the late 1960s. It was a military funeral in which two U.S. Marines came in at the end of the service and did the flag folding ceremony - very impressive - and very  emotional as they presented the folded flag to Joan. I'm writing about this funeral because it is so much more satisfying to go to a funeral in 2012 than it was in the 1950s and 1960s. The funerals today are more of a celebration of life than 50-60 years ago. As I remember those funerals they were so morbid and sad. Today, as tributes were read from Jay's sister, his nephew, an old hunting and fishing buddy and his wife we actually laughed - it was simply refreshing to see this happen.

Other than the flag ceremony the other clincher to the funeral was the last song played over the loud speaker. It was a country western song entitled "Here for a Good Time." The lyrics went something like this "We're only here for a short time so I'm here for a good time." It was perfect send away for Jay as that is the way he lived his life.

No comments:

Post a Comment