Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Pete's BLOG-Day 26,307. I remember my grandparents as being___

Today is Tuesday, November 27, 2012. My stats today: 10 minutes of yoga, 10 minutes on the exercise ball and 37 minutes of walking=2.0 miles for a November total of 55.2 miles. My weight was 165.2 pounds.
Today would have been my Mother's 108th birthday. She was born in Dodge County, Minnesota on November 27, 1904. She was kid #5 - her older siblings were Effie, Boardwell, Manford, Vina, her younger sister was Sybil. Mom lived 86 years and 51 weeks. She died on my 51st birthday, November 20, 1991.

QUOTE from Marian Wright Edelman: "Failure is just another way to learn how to do something right."

Today I will write on the #3 entry from 50 Thanksgiving Story Starters.

#3. I remember my grandparents as being ____
I did not know my Dad's parents. Grandpa Bungum died in 1923 and Grandma Bungum died in 1943 when I was two and one-half years old. My Mom's parents were John and Maline Throndson and they lived in Rochester when I was old enough to get to know them - that would have been in 1944-45. My memories of them are nothing but wonderful. They were around 80 years old when they became part of my life. For being the age they were I remember them as being so kind and loving. Brother John and I would go to Rochester and stay with them in the summer time for several days and we were frequent visitors on many Sundays and holidays. And they would come visit us when we lived in Mantorville and Dodge Center, It was always a joy to visit them. My favorite memory of Grandpa was taking their garbage to the Rochester dump. He drove his 1935 Ford and would drive like a maniac. He would ask John and I if we thought he could make it when leaving a stop sign and a dozen cars were coming. We would say yes and he would gun that old Ford and - he always made it. Grandma always asked me how things were going at school. The one thing I remember her saying to me is that "being a kid was going to be the best time of my life." I also remember that she had only one eye - she had the other eye taken out in the 1930s. They both lived into their mid-90s. Grandpa died in 1959 and Grandma died in 1967 or 1968.





No comments:

Post a Comment