Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Pete BLOG-Day 26,371. Good day yesterday.

Today is Wednesday, January 30, 2013 - we have a snowstorm today - up to 6" with wind. My stats today: 10 minutes of yoga, 10 minutes of lifting weights and 37 minutes of walking = 2.0 miles for a January total of 62.2 miles. My weight was 163.4 pounds.

QUOTE from Debbie Macomber, New York Times best-selling author: "If you love, you get love back, and that's just a simple basic truth. If you are loved, it is because you love. It's like a mirror. We get back what we give out."

My THOUGHTS today: I feel good about what I did yesterday. I agreed to be a member of our church's visitation program. My first assignment was to visit a 90-year-old lady named Lena Dirks. I called her first and told her I was with the visitation team from church and asked if it was okay if I came about 1 PM - she agreed. We had a fun conversation for over one and a half hours. I knew Lena as I had done some painting for her about 10 years ago and I had 2 of her daughters in class back in the 1960s. I've been around old people all my life so I know they like to talk about their family. The best part of our talk was when I asked her how she had met Bob, her husband of 53 years. (he passed away in 1999 from a stroke.) She met Bob when she was 13 years old while visiting her Aunt and Uncle on a Sunday afternoon. Bob was working as a hired man for her Aunt and Uncle and her cousin said he wanted to introduce her to Bob. He introduced them and her Aunt said that Lena told her "I'm going to marry him someday." Lena says she does not remember saying that but her Aunt insists she did. They started dating when she got in high school and then he went in the Navy in 1941 for 4 years - serving in the Pacific theater (he served on 2 ships that were severely damaged but never sunk). During the war she worked in the local bank and when he returned in 1945 they got married and over the next 10 years had 4 kids - one boy and 3 girls. The boy is a Lutheran minister and a college professor in California. The 3 girls got married and all are doing well living in Cedar Rapids, Colorado and California.

I found out Lena is quite a writer. She has written her own life story and done a lot of geneology books on her family and Bob's. I looked at her books and they are well done and very interesting. When we got done talking she asked me to come back and see her again because she enjoyed it so much. I gave her a hug when I left and she responded with a firm speeze for me. It was very enjoyable for me - the visit made her feel good and laugh and it made me feel just as good. I'm going back next month.

No comments:

Post a Comment