Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Pete BLOG-Day 26,329. I brighted a lady's day today

Today is Wednesday, December 19, 2012. My stats today: 10 minutes of yoga, 10 minutes of lifting weights and 50 minutes of walking = 2.7 miles for a December total of 40.0 miles. My weight was 163.4 pounds.

My inspirational QUOTE from 52 Little Lessons from It's a Wonderful life by Bob Welch: "Perspective changes our attitude. Changing our attitude breathes HOPE into us. That's the real gift God's messenger 'Clarence the angel' gives to George Bailey in this movie."

My THOUGHTS today: My thoughts today have to do with what I did yesterday. I brightened the day for Patsy, an 80-year-old lady and Delores, an 85-year-old lady.
I'll do Patsy first: I know Patsy from church. After the 8 AM service we have coffee in the basement and I've sat by her several times and gotten to know her. When I talked to the adult Sunday school (in May of 2010)  about my "GRATITUDE JOURNAL" Patsy was there, really enjoyed my presentation and bought one of my JOURNALS. She has mentioned to me several times since that she would like to do some writing about her life so her kids and grandkids will have a written copy of her life. Last Sunday at coffee she came and sat by me and said her son had bought her a lined notebook so she could start writing. But she said "I don't know where to start."  I told Patsy I had something  that would help her get started and I would visit her in the nursing home this week.
Last year I wrote a 13 page mini-book entitled QUESTIONS GRANDPA and GRANDMA SHOULD ANSWER BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE. I had read 4-5- books on how to write a life story. I decided they were all too detailed, too long, or too complicated for most elderly people. So I decided to make a short simple one that Senior Citizens could easily use and understand and guide them as they wrote. I took some ideas from these books, added many of my own ideas and made this mini-book. It is divided into 10 chapters and each chapter has from 10 to over 30 questions. Each chapter deals with a different period of their life.
So I took chapter 1 to Patsy yesterday. Chaprer 1 is entitled BIRTH and FAMILY. I went through the 18 questions with her and she enthusiastically started rattling off answers to some of the questions. She promisd me she would get started in her new notebook because Chapter 1 would help her get started and that had been her biggest problem. I gave her my phone number and told her to call me when she is done with Chaptet 1 and I would bring Chaprer 2. My hope is she gets started and continues - she will be so proud if she does.

I'll write on Delores tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment