Monday, December 10, 2012

Pete's BLOG-Day 26,319-20. America is changing

Yesterday was Sunday, December 9, 2012. It was a day of rest. I had an accident - I spilled a glass of water on my computer. After a two hour drying session I'm grateful it is still working.

Today is Monday, December 10, 2012. It is cold and windy today. My stats today: 10 minutes of yoga, 10 minutes of lifting weights and 45 minutes of walking = 2.5 miles for a December total of 19.8 miles. My weights was 164.0 pounds.

QUOTE from Ray Charles: "Music is about the only thing left that people don't fight over."

My THOUGHTS  today are about  how America is changing. After reading this morning's Cedar Rapids Gazette the thought going through my mind was, "My, but America is really changing." What made me think of that topic was a photo from Seattle, Washington. It was a photo of two women, ages 27 and 29, sitting at the Seattle Yacht Club and they both had wedding dresses on. They were getting married at the stroke of midnight because Wahington voters approved a same-sex marriage law on November 6th. The effective date of the new law was December 9, 2012. Weddings took place all over Washington but Seattle city hall weddings were the largest public event, with about 140 couples taking part. The city set up five separate chapels to accomodate everybody and 16 local judges volunteered to officiate the weddings on Sunday.
In 2009 the Iowa Supreme Court unanimously (9-0) approved same-sex marriage in Iowa. It got the religious right-wingers up in arms and they vowed to vote the judges out of office. In 2010 they got three of them out but in 2012 they tried to get a fourth one but failed this time. At present there are nine states that have approved  same-sex marriage, 41 have not. It will be interesting to see what the U.S. Supreme Court decides about this topic. The court will be debating it shortly.

So YES, America is changing. When I was in high school in the 1950s you were considered gay if you wore a pink shirt on Thursday. Today, being gay, lesbian, bisexual, etc. is much more acceptable. I have asked some of the people opposed to same-sex marriage if these same-sex couple have changed their life or been a danger to them or the state of Iowa since the Iowa law was passed in 2009. They have to admit that it hasn't but they still oppose it, of course. I just tell these people that these same-sex couples can do whatever they want in their own home /bedroom - it sure as hell doesn't bother me any and I can't understand why it would/should bother you. And they're human beings just like you and me, they're American citizens just like you and me - they do all the same things everybody else does,  the only difference is what they do with their bodies in the privacy of their own homes.

HUMOR today for Senior Citizens. If all is not lost, where is it?

No comments:

Post a Comment